Summertime and the living is (supposed to be) easy. It’s definitely not the season for preparing elaborate dinners. You’ve got better things to do! Hey, that wine is not going to drink itself! We’ve got an easy, tropical-inspired recipe to help you spend less time in the kitchen and more time relaxing.
First a little backstory on the recipe; Suzanne and I love this tiny beach village in Costa Rica named Santa Teresa. It’s located on the western edge of the Nicoya Peninsula, west of San Jose. It’s a bit remote, very bohemian, and is known for surfing and yoga. It also has plenty of healthy food options including this amazing shrimp salad that’s so simple, anyone can make it. And the best part – you can whip it up in 30 minutes or less.
The inspiration for the salad is from the super chill Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant in Santa Teresa. I’ve made a couple of tweaks to kick-up the shrimp’s spice level, but it has the same laid-back vibe as the original.
Ingredients: (Serving size for two)
• 1 pound of raw shrimp (Frozen shrimp is fine and it thaws quickly.)
• 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
• ¼ tablespoon of Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (I like Walker’s Wood or Grace. You can find either in most grocery stores.)
• ¼ tablespoon of ground pepper
• A pinch of Kosher salt
• ½ cup of vegetable oil
• Spring Salad Mix
• 1 avocado
• 1 tomato
• 1 cup of fresh cut pineapple
• Thaw the shrimp under running water (takes 10 minutes or less).
• Mix the BBQ sauce and the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning in bowl (that’s large enough to add the shrimp).
• Mix the thawed shrimp into the BBQ and Jerk sauce and then add the ground pepper.
• Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet (I like to use an iron skillet.)
• Add the shrimp (in multiple batches) to the heated skillet and cook for three minutes on each side. I use tongs to flip the shrimp. Pro Tip: Cover the top of the pan to reduce the grease and be careful–it gets hot!!!
• Combine the salad mix, chopped tomatoes, pineapple, sliced avocado, and cooked shrimp. Sprinkle that dash of salt over the top. Done!
Even if we can’t escape to Costa Rica these days, we can still recreate the vibe. Impress your special someone with this fresh, great looking salad with a kick. Feel free to add an adult beverage of your choice. And one last thing; here’s a special summer playlist to help you fully transition into a laid-back, summertime dinner. Enjoy!
Originally from Delaware, Mark migrated to this side of the Chesapeake Bay to attend the University of Maryland. After graduating, he moved to Arlington and began his career in marketing for the cable TV and telecom industries AND to eventually meet his future wife (Spoiler Alert: he’s married to Suzanne!). A couple of years ago, Mark decided to say adios to the corporate world and join Suzanne to run Arlington Home Interiors, specifically heading up marketing and operations. It’s been full steam ahead ever since! When not at his desk, Mark enjoys digging through crates of used record albums, practicing yoga, reading classic fiction, cooking spicy dishes, and riding appropriately sized waves.
It’s time to love your living space. And we’re here to help! Arlington Home Interiors has been creating casually elegant interiors for modern families in the DC area since 2007. From developing concepts to curating unique selections to managing custom installations, we confidently guide clients through each step of the design process. Contact us and let’s make something beautiful!